- The scientific name of Florida Kingsnake is Lampropeltis getula floridana.
- One of the beautiful medium size non-venomous snakes.
- Smooth scales with chain-like pattern.
- Yellow cross-banded with black or dark brown body.
- Tame with regular handling, and they seldom bite.
- As the name implied, they are found in Florida, and Southern of United States.
- Many successful breedings have been successfully done in captivity.
- Sexual maturity of the snakes is about 2 years.
- They lay 2 to 30 eggs per clutch.
- The eggs hatch after 60 – 90 days of incubation.
- They size of the hatchlings is about 5 to 8 inches.
- The adult snakes are measured around 35 to 50 inches.
- The lifespan of the snakes is about 10 – 15 years.
Florida Kingsnake Food
- Florida Kingsnake eats small rodents, lizards, eggs, and birds.
- Other snakes, including venomous snakes are they preys as well.
- Cypress ponds
- Oak hammocks
- Sugar cane plantations
- grassland near pond
- swampy area
General Information on Enclosure Setup
- This snake needs moderate humidity.
- Always keep the vivarium at the level of humidity if you keep it as pet.
- Deep bowl of water needed for snake soaking and drinking.