Russian Tortoise Scientific Name
- The scientific name of Spider Tortoise is Pyxis arachnoides arachnoides.
General Information about Russian Tortoise
- Pattern of shell looks like spider web.
- These tortoises are most active in the morning, feeding in the morning is good.
- In the late afternoon and evening, they seems not to be so active and trying to seek for shaded place to hide and rest.
- Provide a place for them to hide, they need certain level of security.
- Naturally, they will dig for a place to hide and shade.
- They do not need large space.
- The tortoise needs constant access to water, regular soaking is required.
- In captivity, they are quite sensitive, try to take extra care for these tortoises.
- Keeping this species as pet is only recommended for experienced tortoises keeper.
Russian Tortoise Distribution
- Naturally found in Madagascar.
Russian Tortoise Breeding and Nesting
- Normally single egg from a clutch.
Russian Tortoise Size
- Adult size from 6 inches to 8 inches.
Russian Tortoise Life Span
- 30 to 50 years.
Russian Tortoise Food and Feeding
- They are herbivorous. This tortoise only takes vegetables and fruits.
- You may feed them with any fruits and vegetables.
- Vegetables such as cucumbers, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots or mushrooms will be good for them.
- If you prefer to feed them with fruits. Green or yellow squash, apple, pear, or melons are recommended.
- Flower and leaves are their favorite as well.
- Mixture of the above is recommended to provide more balanced nutritious food.
- They are quite picky about the food, try several mixture to get their favourite.
Russian Tortoise Habitat and Housing
- Dessert-like habitat – dry woodlands, sand dunes, or brush lands.
- The natural habitat temperature for this tortoise is ranging from 4°C to 42°C.
- Thus try to keep them within 14°C to 33°C.
- The most optimum temperature is around 28°C.
- In term of humidity, they enjoy 75% to 78%.